Saturday, July 5, 2008

Importance of Teacher-Child Relationships

While taking part in the activities at the Governor’s Institute, we were required to read selections from a number of books. I have continued reading the book, A Matter of Trust by Carollee Howes and Sharon Ritchie. The book emphasizes the importance of positive teacher -child relationships and how those relationships influence children’s behavior. While I have not finished the book, I felt their ideas on how to build a positive relationship with the children was important enough to write about.
The authors discuss the importance of responding to the children with positive, individualized attention. They stress the need to be sensitive to children’s needs and to validate their feelings.
I found their ideas about using Teacher Talk especially interesting. Teacher Talk refers to phrases which the teachers use over and over. Comments, such as those offering help and modeling problem solving skills, help children feel secure as well as teaches them ways to talk out problems. I’m want to be more conscious of this when I go back in the classroom. As expected they remind teachers to be consistent and firm, avoid power struggles, support positive behaviors, and have high expectations.
Something, I never thought about before, was that teachers who have a positive relationship with a mentor often end up having better relationships with the children. The premise is that being able to reflect with someone helps a teacher grow. I think there much truth in that. Thank you to Kathy, Ellen, Jamie, and Cindy for filling that role for me.
To learn more information about these ideas or the theory behind them, check out the book, A Matter of Trust.

No comments: