Sunday, January 2, 2011

Two Feel Good Stories

Bernice recently shared two stories which I call feel good books. The first is And I Love You by Ruth Krauss and Steven Kellogg. As the inside cover states, the book, "celebrates the loves between a parent and a child." The verse is simple and it would be fun to continue the pattern of the book and think of other examples of big things which love little things. This would be a great bedtime story, but would also be a wonderful story for caregivers to read before nap time.

The other book Bernice shared has a little suspense to it. In Anita Lobel's book Nina Lost and Found, a house cat slips out the door to explore the world. As she does, day becomes night and what seemed so pleasant is now frightening. When Nina hears her owners calling she overcomes her fears and runs as quickly as she can back to her home.

Most children like a little suspense in stories and enjoy the sense of relief when things turn out ok. I think it must help them build a sense of security and help them get through small insecure times in their life. The more examples we have of things turning out okay, the more positive our attitudes will be.

Over the holidays, my grandson told me there are yellow feelings and black feelings. He went on to explain, if you have those positive yellow feelings, things often turn out better for you. I asked how he knew this. He told me there were signs about it in his school. Sounds like they ware trying to build positive outlooks. For me, I just like knowing that Nina survived her adventure and made it back home safely.

No comments: