Friday, July 10, 2009

Elephant and Piggie Books

It took me awhile to be a fan of Mo Williams, but now I know it is worth my time to check out whatever he writes. Actually it is often the drawings that make his books so good, but now I am rambling. Today, I am writing about his series of books about two friends. The Elephant and Piggie Books tittles include: My Friend is Sad, I Am Invited to a Party, I Love My New Toy!, and I Will Surprise My Friend!, as well as a number of others. While the books have limited text and can be read by beginning readers, in my mind, they are best when shared with others. My 5 year old grandson, an independent reader found the books interesting from cover to cover. I read four with him and then he read a fifth on his own. He told me about it and then asked me to read it with him.

All of the books can easily spur discussions on social emotional situations involving the two friends. They are funny yet many convey the important message that friends are more important than material things. Take time to check them out!

If you want to learn more about Mo Williams and his books, check out his website at http://www.mowillems.com There is info for parents, teachers, and children. Enjoy!

No comments: