Saturday, May 16, 2009

Big Book of Fears

I'm sitting at home, alone on Saturday evening, but don't feel sorry for me because I am having a wonderful time reading a selection of new children's books. I just finished Emily Gravett's Big Book of Fears. If you enjoy unique books full of creative, fun illustrations, you need to check out this book. The book is designed as a "journal" to help an artist mouse overcome his many fears. Before sharing the story with children, read it yourself. Help children to understand that the mouse got the book to help him get over his fears. Show them where the mouse has been chewing on the book and let them know, the mouse has added entries in the book about his fears. Younger preschoolers will not be able to appreciate all this book has to offer, but many primary school children could spend thirty minutes or more just examining the illustrations, especially if they have an enthusiastic adult close by. I've been through it three times and each time discover something new.
After my first reading, I knew the illustrations were brilliant, but I wondered if it would really help children deal with their fears. After all fear is a strong emotion which often doesn't respond to logic. While it is hard to find one book that meets the needs of all children, there is a segment of children who want to know how things work and will be please to find out that there is a scientific name for their fears, including the fear of monsters. It will give them a sense of control to be able to identify their feelings and write down their fears as the mouse did. As children record their fears and some possible solutions, they can reflect on the fears and better understand them. I've often heard that gifted children sometimes have more worries, because they have a deeper understanding of things to worry about. This is a perfect book for those children.
Even if you don't have a fearful child in your life, read this book anyway. Enjoy it as a beautiful work of creativity.

1 comment:

BookChook said...

As the mother of a gifted and fearful child, your comments resonated with me.

I think books about how to deal with fears, books about different fears etc are so important, to provide support for children. If one child chooses a book I've written and it works for him at any level, I will feel vindicated in my obsession with literature and literacy.