Sunday, August 17, 2008

More Great Read Alouds

Lee Ann emailed to share a wonderful resource. She must have been reading my mind, because just the day before I was thinking I should write about the book, A Splendid Friend Indeed. This is the story of a somewhat annoying goose who only wants to be friends with Polar Bear. She saved me all the work of thinking of activities to go along with the book by sending me a link to a website with information on this very special book and a list of more books about friends. http://www.schlowlibrary.org/splendid_friends/schlow.htm
That website links to another which has even more resources pertaining to the same book. http://www.paonebook.org/onebook2007/splendid.htm

A Splendid Friend Indeed by Suzanne Bloom was the Pennsylvania One Book in 2007. Some PA libraries will have traveling kits which they can lend to teachers in the classroom. After reading this book, the class may enjoy, Treasure, a new book by Bloom which tells of the continuing adventures of Goose and Polar Bear.

Suzanne Bloom has written some other worthwhile books about social emotional topics, but I think my favorite must be Piggy Monday. The story starts one Monday when Mrs. Hubbub's class was getting out of line. The teacher warns the class that they need to listen or they will all turn to swine. My class really enjoyed this very funny book and best of all, I saw an improvement in their manners after we read it.

1 comment:

Rose said...

Franklin County Library System has the A Splendid Friend Indeed traveling trunk. It is available for circulation through any of our libraries.